Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Oh Yes, My Dear Man - More Beans!


Look, I know I complain a lot about the food in Washington, DC. And yes, it's no secret that I am insulting the vegan food, or the lack thereof, specifically. But that's the way it is: if you are lucky enough to find something vegan on a menu, chances are you'll wish you hadn't. My beef with this place is its obsession with it. Barf.

My standards for lunch food, however, are impossibly low. Let's just say I eat a lot of bean burritos. Occasionally, a salad or some leftovers are thrown in for good measure, but rice, beans, salsa and tortilla comprise about 98% of my diet before 6 PM. That's because, across the street from where I work, there is Juice Joint---a completely bells and whistles-free cafe that makes an awesome, filling, less than $5 vegan burrito. Somehow, I don't get sick of it.

However, diagonally across the street, a new restaurant opened that got me excited: Organic to Go. Upon further investigation, I find out that it's actually a chain that started on the West Coast, and DC is the first venture east. The name of the place got me totally excited. So, yesterday, I decided to check the place out.

Because I went during lunchtime, of course the place was packed. It's a block from the White House on K Street, so I expected as much. There is a salad bar, a large assortment of bottled and fresh juices, a sandwich menu and a pizza menu. There is only one vegan sandwich on the menu---and, of course, it's the most uncreative stereotype of vegan food imaginable: a roasted vegetable sandwich drenched in vinaigrette dressing. I don't know about you, but I'd rather walk across the street to the park and forage for dandelion greens that my dogs have probably pissed on.

The place, you know, because it's "organic," is crazy expensive and everything looks ridiculously boring. There weren't even good smells wafting through the place. The salad bar is de rigeur, and $8 a pound! Yes, I believe in the concept of organic, especially when applied to local farms, but please: this is just another capitalist venture aimed at cashing in on people believing a tiny $10 sandwich is going to prevent wrinkles, baldness and cancer.

I don't know about you, but I am sticking with my trusty burrito.

No comments: