Sunday, November 30, 2008

S-U-S-H-I


Jesus Christ. Pompous yuppies and people trying to be "cultural," read up - this shit is sad and scary:
If an army marches on its stomach, then the key item in the kit bags of the Roman legions that conquered southern Europe about 2,000 years was dried bluefin tuna. But having survived the demands of the Roman conquest, the species — each of which can weigh as much as 1,500 pounds and live as long as 40 years — might finally have met its match in the contemporary global appetite for sushi.

If environmentalists and marine scientists are right, the world's remaining stocks of bluefin tuna, 90% of which are in the Mediterranean, could be on the verge of extinction. Says Alain Fonteneau, a marine biologist for France's government-run Institute for Development Research in Montpellier: "If we do nothing, in five years we will fish the last bluefin tuna."

read the rest here.
I don't know about you, but I'm pretty horrified by this particular snippet of news. An entire species decimated because of sushi?!? Simply and positively disgusting. 

I can guarantee you that no one is going to do a god damn thing about this, either. Oh, I've heard the arguments before. "I understand the concern, but I just love it too much. I can't give it up," or "So what? It's just a fish," are things people say. Yes, for real. So, we might as well say goodbye to tuna. People are far too selfish and far too stubborn to give up one tiny thing that would make a change. 

Sacrifice is the only way to make things work - I hope people will pick up on that sooner rather than later. Here is one perfect and urgent example of what sacrifice could do for the world.

2 comments:

Elaine Vigneault said...

FYI, sushi is about the rice, not the fish. People who say otherwise are STUPID. They might also be racist.

sushi =/= fish
Look it up. Or you know, ask a Japanese person.

Marky Mae Brown said...

I know... and people make fun of me when I order it without fish. "That's not sushi," they say.

"Fuck off," is what I say back.