Thursday, October 2, 2008

"You Need Not Think Alike To Love Alike." - Francis David

Hippie-ism. I had no choice in the matter.

Take a gander, y'all. This is the kind of shit Marky Mae Brown was raised on. I used to watch this program every Sunday before my parents would whisk me away to that den of liberalism and sin known a the Unitarian Universalist United Fellowship (formerly the Francis David Unitarian Universalist Fellowship). There, I was exposed to free-thinking and radical ideas like love, kindness, community organization, helping the impoverished, working for world peace. There, I discovered what it means to care about something deeply, to strive for unity despite differences.

This program was clearly made before the Reagan Era destroyed the last remnants of the "peace and love" movement, ushering in mass market consumption and greed - an unpleasant and overpowering trap we still find ourselves in today, perhaps more so than ever before.

I doubt very highly that a program like this could be made today - there's no place for licensed products here. I'm glad I was brought up when I was. My eyes were opened to things a lot of today's kids will never see. We seem bent on driving home the "us vs. them" mentality of the Bush I and II regimes. I wonder if we'll ever escape that stupid, backward thinking and once again attempt to realize that, underneath it all, we're just people.

No comments: