Monday, August 11, 2008

No matter which way you slice it, this shit is good.


by Dimples Doublefist

My neighborhood in Washington, DC---Adam's Morgan---is totally charming. That is, if you stay away from the crack-house only one block over from where I live. Or, you aren't beaten within an inch of your life so that someone can steal your $49 cell phone. And finally, overlook all the trash and chicken wings littering the sidewalks. Once you get past all of that, it's Mr. Rogers neighborhood, but with more diversity and people who are, like, totally committed to yoga.

But the best part of Adam's Morgan is Harris Teeter. More specifically, it's the bakery at Harris Teeter that makes me go all coo-coo for cocoa puffs.

As it turns out, Harris Teeter's artisan breads (I know: I can't believe I am putting all of that in the same sentence either) come from La Brea Bakery---a bakery in Los Angeles that basically uses flour, water, salt and yeast. The breads are amazing---and they are vegan (unlike almost everything from that good-for-nothing bakery at Whole Foods). These breads are crusty on the outside and soft on the inside---just the like the hippie to which I aspire.

The BF and I buy a lot of this bread, which runs between $3 and $5 a loaf, to dip in all sorts of things. The dogs and I prefer to eat it smeared with almond butter and peach preserves, but that's just because we are decadent. But no matter how you slice it, these loaves are guaranteed to bring you joy: available at a Harris Teeter near you.

No comments: