Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Plight of the Lorax


Who remembers this book?

Dr. Seuss wasn't fucking around when he wrote this one. It was highly prophetic, and it should be getting a hell of a lot more attention these days than it does.

Instead, we have dreadful Hollywood film versions of once-classic Seuss tales that feature professionally annoying slot slappers like Mike Myers and Jim Carrey. These films were created specifically for mass consumption, and spawned mega-marketing and licensing campaigns. The world gained nothing but more plastic crap and bastardized versions of great children's literature.

Random House and the Seuss Estate - how about promoting this book instead - one that will teach children a valuable lesson? Earth Day's coming up. You should be passing this out to kids all over the country.

Instead of prompting them to get a Happy Meal with a Made In China plastic toy, teach them that some resources, regardless of what anyone may tell you, just aren't renewable.

This book petrified me when I was a child - and back then, most of us didn't even know what deforestation WAS.

Now that I know better, I feel like the Lorax sometimes.

People think I'm crazy when I scream about the shrinking rain forests of the world. Some people have actually said to me, "Oh, I don't care about that" when I tell them that environmental health is one of my prime concerns. While my first reaction is to hammer their heads in, I just bite my tongue and back away, noting that the person guilty of uttering such inanity is not worth my attention. Ever again.

It's all spelled out in The Lorax. Even Republicans can understand the simple text and colorful pictures. George W. Bush - Marmoset Number One - he might even get it.

When we were kids, the Lorax's plight seemed far-off, maybe even fictional. Now that kids are witnessing it happening, they need to know that they can actually do something about it.

As Whitney Houston said, "I believe the children are our future." And as our future, they need to be aware of what's going on here before they have nothing but pavement and corrosion and desolation. The Lorax can help them.

Every kid should read it.



Part Two of The Lorax

Part Three of The Lorax

Part Four of The Lorax

Part Five of The Lorax

Part Six of The Lorax

(FYI - no, the irony is not lost on Ye Olde Pompous Vegan that this anti-deforestation/big industry book is printed on what must be multitudes of former forests. What're you gonna do. It we're lucky, they've got the common sense to print this title on recycled paper at this point.)

1 comment:

Gina said...

(giggle) Marmoset Number One.