Sunday, February 10, 2008

It's my first time.


A few fun facts:

  • All designers who use fur are assholes.

  • All stores that sell fur are assholes.

  • Anyone who buys fur is an asshole.

  • Anyone who WEARS fur is an ASSHOLE.


  • The use of fur in fashion is something, as anyone who has read this shit knows, that I find HIGHLY repellant. It's unnecessary, it's ugly, it's stupid, and fashion designers who use it today - I think they're doing it just to be dicks. There can be no other reason. They just want to fuck with the bleeding heart hippies.

    The fact that they can get away with it - that's something else. I didn't really know that much, or I should say think that much about how fur coats, belts, hats, et cetera were made until recently.

    I will spare details, but as I'm sure you can imagine - it's blood-curdling. I challenge anyone - ANYONE - to watch even a split second of one of the videos that are floating around the internet about fur production and not feel the almost uncontrollable urge to vomit. I can't watch them, myself. I accidentally saw about three seconds' worth of one and that was enough for me. I don't need to see it to know what happens.

    That there are human beings alive who are capable of doing something like that to another creature is frightening. If they weren't taking out their obviously psychotic aggressions on these animals, who WOULD they be taking them out on? And why are they allowed to do it at all?

    Rage has been building up in me pretty intensely over this whole fur business. Watching youngsters parading around in fur accessories from top to bottom has pretty much rendered it impossible for me to go outside without getting despondently disgusted at the state of things in this world.

    So when I found out that there was an anti-fur protest at Bergdorf Goodman this past Saturday afternoon, I decided to go. My time had come - I was going to be an actual animal rights activist, not just a vegan loudmouth who vents frustration to the world through a dreary blog.

    I was already pissed off as I made my way to the event. Fifth Avenue's ritzy shopping district is notoriously littered with self-important buttfucks who coat themselves in other animals' furs, and my fists were balled up and I was gritting my teeth as I passed them.

    Then, when I was about a block away, I heard it - "YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT IN THAT COAT, LADY!"

    It was a bullhorn. The protest had started. I approached the group of people who were just starting to gather and asked for a sign. I was given one that had a picture of two sad-eyed puppies in a cage, with the caption, "FUR TRIM KILLS" (because, in case you didn't know it - most of those cute parkas that are so trendy these days with the "faux" fur" trim are made from either raccoon dogs, like that precious little angel pictured above, or regular dogs and cats. Completely foul).

    I initially laughed as the woman with the bullhorn insulted bitches in full-length mink coats as they passed. This went on for about 45 minutes, the insults mixed with facts about the fur industry. "Why don't you wear it bloody side out next time, lady!" she would yell. It appeared to be good, clean fun.

    And then something happened.

    Two little Japanese tourist girls walked past wearing fur. They noticed what was happening and got visibly scared, attempting to get by as quickly as possible, when people started screaming at them. A "vivacious" teen, the one who would turn out to be the main cause of my consternation throughout the entire event, chased them, and they ran away emitting high-pitched screams that sounded like a Chipmunks recording.

    Did I find the visual to be hilarious? Absolutely yes. But as I thought about it, I realized that we were coming off to these people the way Operation Rescue, that babbling, idiot anti-abortion group that clogs women's health clinics with stupidity and poorly-dressed fat people waving around plastic fetuses, appears to me - irrational, psychotic, to be avoided at all costs.

    The assaults continued, and the vivacious teen threw things at a few people, almost got into a couple fist fights, was obnoxious, swore, and crossed the line at almost every given opportunity.

    Most of the people at the protest were lovely. I talked with several of them and they all seemed great.

    Some people on both sides of the issue were ridiculous - the tantrum-throwing teen who is eventually going to get arrested, and a few pedestrians who made idiotic and cutesy displays of their animal-rendered clothing. "LEATHER," one retarded bitch chirped in a sing-song voice, showing off her gloves as she walked past. Others pointed at us and laughed. Some said smug things like, "There are more important issues," or "you're a bunch of idiots."

    I was left thinking to myself, "What kind of moron could actually sit down and rationalize skinning an animal alive to make a fucking hat?" The horrible reality is, though, that most people can - they're of the opinion that, as the Bible says,
    And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26
    And although I thoroughly strive toward, stand up for and steadfastly believe in animals' rights, I must say that some of the activists' actions are counter-productive.

    Screaming at someone, insulting them - it's not going to get them to change their opinion. At best, it will enforce the opinion they already have, giving them a sense of righteous indignation that will probably deepen their existing beliefs.

    Talking calmly, rationally - and presenting facts - that's how you get people to realize that they look like stupid fucking cunts in their full-length chinchilla coats.

    Watching people who hadn't known that the collars on their jackets were made from dog fur react in horror as protesters explained their coats' origins - seeing their expressions go from curiosity to disgust as they realized they had been duped into buying something revolting - THAT made the entire event worth it for me. Educating people without causing anger - that's the key.

    I will go to more anti-fur demonstrations. It's what's right, and I feel that I need to do it - but I will never allow myself to fall prey to my emotions in those situations and hurl insults at people.

    The animals deserve better.

    No comments: