Monday, January 14, 2008

My Baby Horse is Jennifer.

For some reason, the fact that I'm a vegan tends to be the focal point of conversations I have with most people I meet.

It's not as if there isn't a multitude of other interesting things about me; I would have to say I'm one of the most interesting people I've ever met.

However, it always swings back to food.

"How did you become a vegan?" dreary chatters plead, preparing to be regaled with a tale of a mystical journey that led to enlightenment.

"Well, I stopped eating meat and dairy and eggs," I reply. Their expectant expressions deflate.

"I traveled to India, trekked to the top of a sacred mountain and sat with a learned yogi for seven years, contemplating the sacred nature of living flesh and why it should not be consumed."
or:
"I toured a farm and saw what really happens in the beef industry and I threw up right there on that farmer's shoes."

As much as I would like for either of those situations to have been the case, it's simply that I made up my mind to be conscientious and "eat for the planet."

It's becoming increasingly evident that the beef industry is one of the key factors in our global warming situation. The United Nations stated this very clearly in its report on Global Warming last year.

Although I was vegan long before U.N,'s report was issued, it was really no news to me - I've read several reports over the years of cows' methane excretions being detrimental to our atmosphere. But that's just one reason I'm a vegan.

If it's got eyes, I won't eat it. I love animals. I LOVE them. I would throw myself in front of a car to save a cat. I am not exaggerating in the slightest.

Animal rights and environmental security. Those are my main reasons for making the choice to be vegan.

If you care about the planet - if you want your kids to know what snow looks like and to be able to SEE the lemurs, newts, maromosets, ocelots, and polar bears in places other than books or in zoos where zookeepers have to beat the males off in order to impregnate females who won't bone because they're in captivity, then you'll do the same.

No comments: